Monday 11 August 2014

T is for Theme

Now that I am back from holiday and am recovering from a virus I shall complete my ABC about writing.
 
As a reader and a historical novelist I consider a strong theme is essential. For example, the theme of Gone With the Wind (until the end of the novel) was Scarlet O’Hara’s unrequited love for Ashley Wilkes and the theme of Romeo and Juliet was unconsummated love. In my novel, Sunday’s Child it was the hero’s fear of his future wife becoming pregnant caused by a dreadful experience when the British fought against Napoleon in the Iberian Peninsula.

 
It would be interesting to know how many authors only begin a novel when they have chosen a theme.

 
I spend a lot of time creating my characters and naming them after deciding on a plot and then choosing the theme.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home